Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Asian-style cucumber slaw

Have you ever wanted to eat a color?

Don't give me that look. Go on this journey with me, and you'll understand.

A few days ago, I woke up before sunrise to go to work, and it was snowing. All I wanted to do was cuddle my puppy and eat green. I don't mean environmentally friendly-- I mean the color.

Try this slaw, and you'll understand. Trust.


Halve and seed a cucumber.


Slice it into pretty crescents.. Try not to eat too many of them while you're assembling this slaw. I say this because I started with a whole cucumber and ended up with... well, half a cucumber in the recipe.


Add the juice of one lime. More green.


A teaspoon of brown sugar for balance in the dressing. (Yes, that's totally chalkboard paint and chalk on my brown sugar container. And yes, my handwriting is that bad).


Add sprouts.


Toss with the dressing and serve as a side or put on top of your favorite main course!


See? Eating green.



Asian cucumber slaw

Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites


1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeded
1/2 cup pea sprouts
1 tbsp green chiles, chopped
Juice of one lime
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce


Slice cucumber halves into crescents. Mix with chiles and sprouts and set aside.


In a separate bowl, combine all other ingredients. Pour dressing over cucumber mixture and toss. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour. 


Serve atop your favorite entree (I like it over a quinoa salad).

No comments:

Post a Comment